Sunday, February 20, 2011

banana muffins

Good afternoon bloggers! 

Well today was a semi lazy day for me, I've watched a lot of The Office, done homework for school and generally hidden from the heat in my room. 

I decided to bake banana muffins this afternoon when being in my room was becoming a bit monotonous. It's not my own recipe, but it's a nice one and quite healthy too so I thought I'd share it (plus I got to take pictures of it of course).

This recipe is from the Frankie magazine Afternoon Tea book. 


mixture

1 tablespoon butter, melted, plus 1/4 cup, extra
2 cups plain flower
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon mixed spice (I didn't use this because I didn't have it)
2 eggs
5/8 cup (155ml) butter milk (or milk with a squeeze of lemon juice, which I used)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed


preheat oven 230 degrees Celsius. Using melted butter, generously grease a 12-hole muffin pan and set aside (I used two 6 hole pans because a big one wouldn't fit in my tiny oven!)

Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and mixed spice into a large mixing bowl. Set aside.



In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat the eggs with a wire whisk or rotary beater until they are pale yellow in colour and fall in a steady ribbon from the whisk. Add the remaining butter, the buttermilk and lemon juice to the eggs and stir well.

Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture as quickly as possible. Do not over-mix as the ingredients should be just combined. Fold in the mashed banana.



Divide the batter evenly between the holes in the prepared muffin pan. Place the pan in the centre of the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centres of the muffins comes out clean.


Remove the muffins from the oven. Cool in the pan for about 4 minutes and then turn them out onto a plate, if you are serving them warm. Dust with icing sugar for presentation.



Makes 12.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Simoana said...

Oh, banana muffins are always delish :)
However, after Yasi banana prices are meant to soar! They are already about 8 bucks a kilo up here in North Queensland.

I have heard Sydney has been having heatwaves as of late. :( SOrry to hear!

kathy said...

Yum- i need to try making these!