Sunday, January 23, 2011

Happy belated blogoversary to me!

Hello everyone!

So January 10 was actually my first anniversary of things to smile about! I missed it because I was in Sydney running around trying to find a house to live in, and when I got back and realised, I was determined on taking an outfit shot to celebrate it. Well I've given up on that now, outfit shots just aren't working for me at the moment.

However, I should to something to mark the occasion, and considering this is mostly a photography blog nowadays, I thought I would share with you some of my favourite photos I've ever taken!

I started this blog because I'd started the new year at work, all of my friends were going back to uni or moving and I was virtually left with minimal friends and I was quite miserable at work as well.
I figured this blog would be something to inspire me, something for me to spend my time on and also something to show my work as I had plans of doing something in 2011 with photography, and I wanted to build up my portfolio.

I took this photo of Bec in 2009 for The Hub in Photo News. There's just so many things about it that make it a perfect summery shot to me. To be honest I didn't actually know what as I was doing as much when I took this one, but everything just worked out perfectly. It was actually my friend and co-worker Janelle who pointed it out to me as being quite a good photo, because I hadn't actually looked at it properly! It'd be one of my favourites I've taken.

Well, I kept up with the blog and it definitely became a 'friend' to me, sometimes it was all I thought about! :p But luckily I made much closer friends out of some of my acquaintance type friends (Hanli, Caitlin, Georgie) and a few of my friends came back from uni for the year as well! Excellent :) But I kept with the blog, I never had any doubt about that, and I'm very pleased that a year has passed!

There's just so much going on in this photo but it all comes together for me. I love it! This is my good friend Vinnie, taken last year.

My blog has changed quite a bit since I started it! I started off with just single pictures with little comments, and now I appear to do huge photo posts from each shoot. Which I like, as this blog was meant to be a bit of a thing where followers got heaps of photos I take, before I pick out just one to go in my portfolio or something like that.

This photo just seemed to turn out... I thought I should include one of myself! Taken last spring in the canola fields. That was a very good afternoon for me :)

I suppose I should mention my dabbling in outfit shots as well. A lot of the blogs I was following were outfit posts blogs and I decided to try to put a bit more effort in with fashion, seeing as I'd become quite clothes obsessed. It worked, for awhile there I was caring about what I wore every day! Now I don't care so much :p but I guess you go through phases. Anywho, hopefully I'll get back into some outfit posts when I'm in Sydney. It's just too hot at the moment!

Just everything about this photo is perfect to me. The subject, the lighting, the little rainbows, the outfit and especially the expression, somewhat sad. Just beautiful. I would say this photo was a bit of a fluke but then... that's the thing with lighting, most photos I take could be classified as a 'fluke' but that's the thing with photography. I set the settings and snap away not knowing what I'm going to get and the most rewarding part is when something like this comes out. So i wouldn't call it a fluke, more... my favourite part of photography :)

And what about the blog for this year? Well, I plan to keep posting in it just as much as last year, in my new town and new circumstances... Seeing as I'm going to be studying hopefully you'll see some development there. Hopefully acquire some more skills and perfect some stuff, but I hope I keep taking these semi spontaneous portraits, little snapshots into people's souls...

(I'm listening to Simon and Garfunkel as I write this so I think that's why I'm so.. serious and philosophical today! Hahahah)

1 comment:

maggeygrace said...

I definitely like to consider my blog kind of as a friend:)

Your photography is beautiful- I've loved seeing your blog evolve! The last picture is stunning!