Thursday, November 18, 2010

whenever I fall at your feet

Hello everyone!

Guess what... I'm actually doing an outfit post! The first one in ages!



Guess what else! I'm writing this blog post on my brand new... Macbook Pro! Ahhhh! 
My old computer was a tad too slow for blogging hence why I did posts on lunchbreaks at work, etc, but now I'm fully equipped with a computer I can go blog crazy on! So excited.


The reason I haven't been doing outfit shots is actually because I lost the remote part of my wireless remote... aka.. it's really difficult and annoying. But I did this one on timer (hence why there's minimal photos and they're all kinda the same) and eventually got some good ones in a ridiculously long amount of time for the amount of photos I took.


I love this dress so much, it's all baggy and comfy and the material is so soft! I've been doing heaps of different outfits with it ever since I got it like a week ago (i think I've worn it 4 times already! obsessed?)


Also, my hair is quite long I noticed today when I was taking these photos. Quite long indeedy.


It's really warming up here and I wouldn't have usually been able to wear long sleeves, but for some reason it was like the perfect temperature today, I just loved it, not too hot, not too cold.


And this necklace is amazing. I always say, I like jewellery that does things. Well this does things!


Outfit:
Dress: Urban Outfitters (on sale)
Shoes: Keds
Belt: Cotton On
Flower: Sportsgirl
Compass necklace: I'm not sure of the name of the shop, it was somewhere in Newtown though

And in other news...



I SAW HARRY POTTER!

For those of you who don't know me personally, you wouldn't know that I am a massive Harry Potter fan. I grew up with Harry - started reading when I was 11 and finished reading when I was 17. For those  6-7 years I was completely and utterly obsessed. Building Harry Potter websites, playing Harry Potter games, writing Harry Potter encylopaedias... obsessed. And of course I dressed up to every book release and movie premiere. 

In fact... I might be able to find a gem that you may enjoy...

Photobucket

That's Steph, me and Zoe dressing up to.. I assume the launch of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Haha. The good ol days. (I whittled that wand myself!)

Anyway, my point for bringing up Harry Potter is that it's raised a lot of questions this week about 'growing up' and 'times a changin'.
Don't get me wrong, I still love Harry Potter so much and I know how much of an impact it had on my life. But another thing you need to understand is the intense emotional ordeal I went through with it all, especially when the last book came out. I had grown up with Harry Potter and always had the fact that I didn't know how the story was going to end in my mind... and then all of a sudden Harry Potter was finished and I was kind of left going... what?
You probably think I'm sounding like a bit of a fruit loop here, but what I should also point out is that the year the 7th and last Harry Potter book came out I was in my final year of school (like Harry) and I was really (I mean really) struggling with the idea of that school safety blanket being pulled out from under me. I can remember lying in bed after my last day of school just a complete mess because I was so afraid of the future where I was supposed to be a grown up!
And well, that sort of went hand in hand with Harry too. At the same time as I had to let go of school I had to let go of Harry Potter because the series had ended. (I've never been particularly obsessed with the movies - it's the books all the way for me).

And so over the next three or so years I went out into the workforce and blah blah blah learnt to cope with the 'real world' and I must say it's tossed up quite a few emotions with this book coming out. People have asked me if I'm dressing up to go see it and I've said 'no, when Harry finished at Hogwarts so did I, and I'm not a fully grown witch and I don't wear those robes anymore' and people just look at me like I've lost it. Harry Potter is very deep and meaningful to me you see! Haha!

So that's my rant for today, I saw the movie, it was great, I kind of had to hold it together and not burst into a wave of hysterical tears reliving the book (which I might do with the 2nd part of Harry).

So... have you ever been that emotionally involved with something fictional like that that it weaves it's way into every bit of your life? (Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that it did. A lot of my moral views were largely backed up by Harry!)

Or am I just a nutter?

2 comments:

sydneysomething said...

Haha, I'd discern from the '0 comments' that your avid readers probably think that you (and me too for that matter) are complete nutters :P bahaha Oh man, that photo of us is sooo old :P Actually how old were we there? Like 15? 6 years ago...ergh :P

I know exactly what you mean, after school I was like..."Shit, no excuses now, gotta grow up." Thing is, I still have yet to do so :P I think leaving home is probably harder though, moreso probably for you who has a lovely little family who gives you no reason to want to leave.

Anyway, I s'pose you can think of it like this, we've all got to go out there and find ourselves a Ginny...or, in our and Ginny's cases, a Harry for ourselves :P Can't do that in silly ol' Orange now...Well, I doubt it anyway :P

<3

Gracie said...

hahh thanks steph, that's nice :p and yes, complete nutters. no replies, i was like... oh. thanks :p