Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Strike a Pose

A week ago I went to Cowra with my mum on a Saturday morning to go to this Strike a Pose exhibition. It was an exhibition of Australian fashion from the late 50s to late 70s and it was so great! A lot of it was just street photography that I really enjoyed, and they had some fashion photography and studio photography too. It was all from the Archives, and some of it was hilarious.
They had a few films as well of old ads and fashion interviews. One involved a fashion photographer, they asked him how he got such good fashion photos and his answer was 'lighting, good vibes...' I thought that was brilliant.


This was one of my favourites, taken in country NSW in 1974 as a couple heads off to a jazz festival - love it.



This one was taken in 1968 and is a classic - they had quite an emphasis on mini skirts in the exhibition, I had no idea just how mini the skirts got in the 60s.
They also commented on how mini skirts went out of fashion all over the world in the 70s, but not in Australia - we just loved them so much and wouldn't let go.


                                                      Source: National Archives Australia

We also went to the Cowra Japenese Gardens which, in winter, probably aren't as spectacular as they could be. But we had fun.


My outfit:
Dress: Tree of Life
Trench: Dotti
Shoes: Steve Madden
Scarf: Mums
Beanie: Myer
Cardigan: French Kitty






Mum and I also spent about half an hour taking photos in this bush in the Japanese Gardens!







6 comments:

sydneysomething said...

you're mum is hilarious

Teresa said...

Your mum looks like a lot of fun! :) Lovely location to take photos!

anne said...

those pics in the bushes are seriously awesome!!!
i love that first photo. seems like a cool exhibition.

Robyn said...

Haha the photos from the garden are cute. I am actually really jealous of the exhibit. That sounds like something I really would have loved.

kiss me quick said...

I love that photo with the nuns. Its really cool! ^^

xxx kissmequick

Lauren Moyer said...

I love the photos of your mom!